Senior Android Developer
Vancouver (Remote options available!), BC, Canada .
full-time . December 22, 2022
Taking Root’s purpose is to accelerate the restoration of the world’s forests. We enable smallholder farmers to grow trees and earn money from the carbon they remove from the atmosphere. Our technology and support make it simple for our reforestation partners to create transparent and robust forest carbon removals. From registering farmers and recruiting land, to monitoring trees grown and the carbon stored over time, we provide the tools at every step of the way to help our partners successfully manage and scale their carbon projects. Recognised for its best practices by the UN, EU and World Economic Forum, Taking Root is connecting thousands of farmers to the carbon market, improving their livelihoods by restoring forests around the world.
About the role
Taking Root is seeking a Senior Android Developer to drive the development and continued improvement of the mobile application that empowers our carbon data collection around the world. Reporting to the Engineering Manager, you will apply best practices that ensure we build a high-quality app that our users love. You will also work closely with our Product, Data Science, and Reforestation teams to incorporate the best techniques to survey, measure, and monitor carbon captured through agroforestry.
This is a full-time position, and we are open to full-time remote work within Canada. Our office is in Vancouver, BC, and is available for employees who prefer in-person settings. Salary is competitive and based on experience. We work with a diverse set of international partners and especially encourage Indigenous Peoples, members of racial minorities, people with disabilities, LGBTQIA2S+, and members of other underrepresented groups to apply.
- Prototype and build new functionality, making use of the newest APIs and SDKs on the Android platform
- Solve complex problems for our customers who operate in challenging environments around the world
- Work with a Product Manager, Lead Engineer, and our UX designer to scope new features
- Work with our Reforestation and Data Science teams to ensure our mobile data collection tools are using the latest carbon measurement methodologies
- Build an in-app experience that our users will love
Skills, Qualifications, and Experience required:
We especially encourage those with unconventional experience, education, or career paths to apply, even if you may not meet the precise requirements listed in this posting.
- 5+ years of experience developing in Android
- Proficiency in Kotlin is required. Exposure to Java, Jetpack, Jetpack Compose and Room would be of additional benefit
- React and Python experience would also be assets
- Ability to comfortably and efficiently use Android Studio, including Android SDK.
- Knowledge of Android design principles (e.g. coroutines and ViewModel) and application interface guidelines.
- Experience with offline storage, threading, and performance tuning, consuming RESTful API's, automated testing
- Enjoys an environment that emphasizes communication, trust and making other teammates better.
How to apply
Submit a cover letter and resume via our portal. We value every application; however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Taking Root has a diverse team of talented people across gender and racial spectrums. We have created a culture of innovation, diversity, and inclusivity, striving for open discussions, best hiring and operational practices. We hire and promote based on merit, competence, performance, successful milestones, and business needs. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind, be that based on race, colour, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, ancestry, disability, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal or provincial laws.