Vancouver (Remote options available!), BC, Canada .
full-time . November 7, 2022
full-time . November 7, 2022
Taking Root is seeking an Android Developer to lead the development new features for our mobile app, which is used to collect carbon data around the world. Reporting to the Engineering Manager, you will work closely with the data science and reforestation teams to incorporate the best techniques to survey, measure, and monitor carbon captured through agroforestry.
This is a full-time position, and we are open to full-time remote work within Canada. Our office is in Vancouver, BC, and is available for employees who prefer in-person settings. Salary is competitive and based on experience. We work with a diverse set of international partners and especially encourage Indigenous Peoples, members of racial minorities, people with disabilities, LGBTQIA2S+, and members of other underrepresented groups to apply.
Taking Root’s purpose is to accelerate the restoration of the world’s forests. We enable smallholder farmers to grow trees and earn money from the carbon they remove from the atmosphere. Our technology and support make it simple for our reforestation partners to create transparent and robust forest carbon removals. From registering farmers and recruiting land, to monitoring trees grown and the carbon stored over time, we provide the tools at every step of the way to help our partners successfully manage and scale their carbon projects. Recognized for its best practices by the UN, EU and World Economic Forum, Taking Root is connecting thousands of farmers to the carbon market, improving their livelihoods by restoring forests around the world.
- Work with Product Manager, Lead Engineer, and our UX designer to scope new features
- Solve complex problems for our customers who operate in challenging environments around the world
- Work with our Reforestation and Data Science teams to ensure our mobile data collection tools are using the latest carbon measurement methodologies
- Prototype and build new functionality using the newest APIs and SDKs on the Android platform
- Build innovative and intuitive features that users will love
Skills, Qualifications, and Experience required:
We especially encourage those with unconventional experience, education, or career paths to apply, even if you may not meet the precise requirements listed in this posting.
- 3+ years of experience developing in Android
- Proficiency in Kotlin, Java, Jetpack, Jetpack Compose, Room
- React and Python experience are pluses.
- Ability to use Android Studio, including Android SDK, with ease.
- Knowledge of Android design principles (e.g., coroutines and ViewModel) and application interface guidelines.
- Experience with offline storage, threading, and performance tuning, consuming RESTful API's, automated testing
- Enjoys an environment that emphasizes communication and making other teammates better.
How to apply
Submit a cover letter and resume via our portal. We value every application; however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Taking Root has a diverse team of talented people across gender and racial spectrums. We have created a culture of innovation, diversity, and inclusivity, striving for open discussions, best hiring and operational practices. We hire and promote based on merit, competence, performance, successful milestones, and business needs. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind, be that based on race, colour, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, ancestry, disability, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal or provincial laws.