Vancouver (Remote work options available!), British Columbia, Canada .
full-time . August 9, 2022
full-time . August 9, 2022
Taking Root is seeking an Engineering Manager to lead the development of our software platform for developing and managing carbon removal projects. Reporting to the Director of Product and Engineering, you will be responsible for leading the development and implementation of the organization’s software platform strategy to continue driving Taking Root’s rapid growth.
This is a full-time position and we are open to full-time remote work. Our office is in Vancouver, BC, and is available for employees who prefer in-person settings. Salary is competitive and based on experience.
About Taking Root
Taking Root’s purpose is to accelerate the restoration of the world’s forests. We enable smallholder farmers to grow trees and earn money from the carbon they remove from the atmosphere. Our technology and support make it simple for our reforestation partners to create transparent and robust forest carbon removals. From registering farmers and recruiting land, to monitoring trees grown and the carbon stored over time, we provide the tools at every step of the way to help our partners successfully manage and scale their carbon projects. Recognized for its best practices by the UN, EU and World Economic Forum, Taking Root is connecting thousands of farmers to the carbon market, improving their livelihoods by restoring forests around the world.
- Lead an engineering team of developers and testers that work on complex technical projects for our mobile application, web applications, and analytics products
- Coach, and mentor engineers to fuel their growth
- Manage goals, performance, and career advancement for direct reports. Hold reports accountable for their expected contribution
- Track and monitor teams’ performance delivering and maintaining software
- Create and review technical designs
- Apply best development practices to ensure well-designed, maintainable, testable, scalable, and secure code
Skills, Qualifications and Experience required:
- 2+ years of experience building and leading high-performing engineering teams
- Ability to attract, engage, develop, and retain high-performing engineers
- 5+ years of experience in software engineering with focus on web-based SaaS applications
- Experience developing and maintaining event-driven web applications
- Proven ability to deliver software products from concept to production
- Experience providing feedback and input to technical discussions, ensuring sound engineering is applied in problem solving and technical decision making
- Experience in Python, PostgreSQL, and RabbitMQ
- Comfortable working virtually across international settings and time zones
Great candidates for this role will have a few years of experience with a few of the following:
- Mobile application development for Android (Kotlin/Java)
- Experience building products that leverage geospatial data and databases
- Test Driven Development: BDD, Gherkin, Cucumber
- Automated Testing: Unit Tests, Integration Tests, End-to-End Tests
- Delivering: CI/CD, Multiple Environments, Agile, Lean, or Kanban
- Microservices: Hybrid Monolith, Isolated Services, Monorepos
- Distributed Systems: Design, Caching, CQRS, Event Driven
- Designing new systems: From scratch, adapting legacy, design thinking
- Design Patterns: MVP, Viper/MVVM, Gang of Four, Async, Distributed, Responsive Services
You are an ideal candidate if you are:
- Purpose-driven and want to help Taking Root to become a global leader in reforestation
- Excited to work in and help build a high-growth organization and the team from an early stage
- Open to coaching and possessing a desire for personal and professional growth
- Diving into a tough problem with confidence and a collaborative attitude
- Learning from, teaching, and making smart compromises with business and tech owners to find the right solution for the business
- Highly organized and detail-oriented
How to apply:
Please apply via the portal. We value your interest; however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Taking Root has a diverse team of talented people across gender and racial spectrums. We have created a culture of innovation, diversity, and inclusivity, striving for open discussions, best hiring and operational practices. We hire and promote based on merit, competence, performance, successful milestones, and business needs. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind, be that based on race, colour, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, ancestry, disability, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal or provincial laws.